SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment
Culinary Operations: Responsible Food Sourcing Policy
SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment is dedicated to our mission -- inspiring our guests to protect wild animals and the places they live. For the millions of people who visit our parks every year -- and thousands of SeaWorld ambassadors within our parks -- caring about animals also means examining the sources of our food. That’s why SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment is committed to responsibly sourcing the food products we serve within our parks.
As a company committed to conservation, we must find ways to feed a growing global population while contributing to a healthier planet and people. SeaWorld will do its part by partnering with food suppliers that deliver products that meet or exceed sustainably, healthy and humane food standards. These standards include:
Prior to the end of 2017, all direct egg purchases, including all shell and liquid eggs, will be cage-free.
For products that are purchased already containing eggs as an ingredient, we will create an awareness of our policy for sourcing cage free eggs and will establish it as criteria in evaluating suppliers and products.
- By the end of 2016, SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment will purchase all pork cuts from suppliers that have announced a commitment and published targets for conversion to group sow housing. It is our aim to purchase all pork cuts from group-housed sows.
- For processed products containing pork as an ingredient, we will create an awareness of our policy of sourcing group-housed pork and will establish it as criteria in evaluating suppliers and products.
- SeaWorld is reaffirming its existing commitment that all seafood served to our guests is sustainably sourced. SeaWorld utilizes globally recognized, third-party standards to determine the species we can sustainably source for our guests.
- All coffee and coffee-based beverages served to our guests and ambassadors to be sustainably sourced starting in 2017.
- All products sourced for our parks meet requirements for zero grams trans-fat per serving (excludes products with naturally occurring trans-fat).
- Over the next year, a major priority will be to focus on increasing the number of plant based meals and other options available for our guests to enjoy at our parks.
Local Sourcing of Produce
- SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment is committed to source produce we serve to our guests from local farms when and where possible. We do this to meet our guests increasing interest in locally sourced products, to reduce our carbon footprint and support local businesses.
- SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment will replace all expanded styrene foam coffee cups with paper cups by the end of 2016. SeaWorld will also phase out the use of expanded styrene foam packaging by the end of 2022.
In the case of a supply chain disruption by events outside our control (e.g. Avian flu, Swine flu, natural disaster), SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment will work with our suppliers to adhere to these commitments as soon as possible should supply be limited or unavailable.
These policies are SeaWorld’s initial step down a path of continuous improvement. The responsible food sourcing policy will be reviewed annually and updated as necessary. This policy will be included alongside our Supplier Code of Conduct.